Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cheating?

Nowadays, it is very easy to cheat during at the tournament because of the modern gadgets, what makes this really interesting is, does strong players cheat too? the answer is "I don't know". In my own opinion it's nice to sweat, get exhausted and eventually earn the whole point because you have something to be proud of and the best way to gauge your level too. Well, cheating is just for a "weak" player (level of playing and also level of personality) I don't know if you guys would agree but this is just my opinion.

Personally, I knew someone had committed cheating and eventually got suspended for the whole year. I would say that I know them but we are not that close, those guys are the Coaches, Assistant Coach and Head Coach at one of the top University in the Philippines. This issue is on the record so any lawsuits and legal actions won't work to me. Anyways, what makes this issue so interesting is those guys are strong enough to cheat! GM Laylo and IM Dableo, so why are those guys cheating? isn't it so embarrassing to see a strong player cheating while we are all working hard to be a strong?

Well, if you guys think that is the whole point of this write up "you are wrong"! the following issue would be more stunning!

Few days ago I was trying to fire up myself playing more chess and finding some ways how to get some motivation to start with my serious study (normally I don't want to open my books if I don't feel like it, just wasting a time) so I had some idea to watch some elite GM's games at the youtube specially blitz, those games are so entertaining until I found this annoying thing, watch this carefully;




Did you watch it? watch it again and try to remember the position and each move they make, now watch this one and pay attention to the position of each games how they move the pieces and what the move they make.



I am not jumping to any conclusion here, but I don't really understand what is going on here, is there any way for the same player to play the same game from beginning up to the end? probably up to 23rd move after the theory ended is highly possible, but how about this? this is obviously a different game because as you can see they have a different board was using at that time.

It is so funny that these games ended with the same reason by "flagging down" and isn't it a coincidence that the last move is ... Kg3?, that's a whole bunch of coincidence then. If this is a drama I would say that these two elite US GM are great actors a Hollywood caliber and their rehearsal have paid off well.

As a professional chess player I am just wondering if there's anyone of you my fellow chesslover would try to enlighten this?

6 comments:

  1. Im no expert but it looks to me like they are practising repetitive movements and rehearsing or something? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! I think you don't have to be an Expert or even a Master to say that there is something wrong with this, because even amateur would know that repeating the game identically with the same player is a clear irregularity! (I avoid the word cheating)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nate, it's obviously the same exact game that both players had committed to memory. This is probably a tactic to save time on the clock.

    It's kind of unethical though and I don't want to hear anymore talk about what a great speed player Nakamura is, not if he's using these kinds of tactics. Anyone can be impressive by rattling off a game already committed to memory.

    They both knew this game well and repeated it twice for the "EASY" half point, while other players may have been struggling for their half points and full points.

    One more thing I noticed and that's the fact that two Grandmasters can't even keep control of the pieces, so as NOT to knock them over. The bottom line is either you have class or you do not. They looked like two amateurs in a schoolyard. I was disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobby Fischer was right about speed chess, when he said, "It isn't chess anymore."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That second video is an imitation of the first. It's just two people in some kitchen, note the fruit bowl in the background, reenacting the game between Naka and Akobian. There are a lot of people with too much time on their hands. I can't believe you guys think this is real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's not even the same two players. I guess I was too busy looking at the game to notice the fruit bowl or the players. In that case, my comments above have no meaning.

    ReplyDelete